Before engaging in a learning experience, consider: what are my expectations of this investment of my time? Whether it is a class, webinar, mentoring or coaching engagement, the expectations you bring to it will impact your take-aways.
Most of us have loads of experience with the feed-forward, ‘sit down and listen’ approaches to learning, and while that works for some of us some of the time, we have a right to expect more as we learn today.
Here are a few things you have a right to expect from your learning experience:
- Clearly stated outcomes and ways those will be measured
- Engaging and inclusive discussions and activities
- Learning that is facilitated in a way that taps into your strengths and acknowledges your current capabilities
- A highly interactive and participative format
- Clear applications for your learning content
Learner-centric experiences mean enjoyable as well as content-rich outcomes. Before engaging in a learning experience, determine if your expectations can and will be met.